M5 resistance adjustment problem fixed

Just got off the phone with a very helpful Bowflex tech who walked me through fixing a problem I have had with my M5 since I got it. I received the machine used from a friend and noticed from the outset that there was no change in resistance when I adjusted the resistance manually or when I was using one of the built in programs. I had searched high and low on the internet for clues about what the cause of this might be and found a single thread on this forum that suggested there might be a problem with the cable that controlled the brake/resistance setting on the machine.

The tech I spoke with was extremely patient and helpful, I was on the phone with him for almost an hour. He walked me through removing the cover over the brake mechanism, emailed me manuals and pictures as we were speaking and we figured out that the wire that connects the servo motor to adjust resistance to the arm that contains the magnets that vary the resistance was threaded incorrectly over the servo motor cam. Not clear whether this was a defect from the factory or happened after the machine was assembled (I wonder whether lying it on it's side in my car to transport it home might have done this). All I had to do was unhook it and thread it properly and my machine functions perfectly now. I was startled by just _how much_ resistance that mechanism generates. Now I understand why all the reviews on the internet talk about how it kicks you a$$.

The resistance mechanism is actually quite ingenious, the 'brakes' are actually a pair of magnets that never contact the brake disk but the more of their surface area is over the disk the greater the resistance. The arm they are mounted on rotates to place more of the surface area of the magnets over the disk.

Anyway, I registered for this account and am posting this here in case there is anyone else out there who has the same problem.

I was very relieved to be able to fix this out of warranty, and grateful that Bowflex has such fantastic customer service. I also have a Bowflex home gym which I remain very happy with. Great company.

Hi, nice to hear that this issue was solved easily ... I have the same issue : resistancec levels change on console, but when I look at the inside: servo motor appears to put more / less tensions on the cable, but the bar with the magnets stay on the same level. (outside of the disc, not covering the surface at all).
    I assume it's one of two issues: the cable has losened, or the cable is not correctly put over the tension-mechanism.
    (ps: the machine worked great for 1 month, after I bought it new begin December. Problems started couple of days ago).

My question for you : do you still have these manuals/pictures, that helped you solving this issue ? If so, can you send them to me ?

Thnx

Meanwhile.... I found the issue : the brake wire was wrongly set on the white 'extension' on the servo motor. How it happened.... no idea. It could not have been like this all the time, because it worked perfect for almost a month.

Switched the wire back to the good side of the 'plastic thingy', closed the panels and did some workouts... everything is running smooth again.

Bye

M5 resistance adjustment problem fixed

Change the setting.ini file to a different resolution. Just fixed mine today by doing this.