Exclamation Max Trainer M5 Troubleshooting

Hey All,

Just bought and built our brand spanking new M5, and it looks awesome. Feels great too!

Just one problem, after the initial try out, the Resistance does not seem to change along with the number on the screen.

Level 1 feels the same as Level 16, and no matter what program we're on, or what we do with other settings, the Resistance Level remains at a medium state (the same as when it is turned off, coincidentally). It feels like the connection with the mechanism that controls the belt is not working, but I can't say for sure. Does anybody have any similar experiences with this?

Thank you for any help! I'm calling the Support line and will check back in with any updates.

Just got off the phone with support. After opening it up it appears the motor / mechanism for the braking cable is not working, and I need to wait for the part to come in - it's on back order - January 5th. So much for trying to stay ahead of the December weight gain festival (I'll have to do it the old fashioned way!) The person on the phone was very patient and helpful though, and luckily everything is covered by warranty. They even acknowledge that since I won't be able to use it properly for a few weeks, the 6-week trial period is going to start when that is fixed by their repair person. I'm disappointed by the quick breakdown of this, but I'm happy for the great support. I can still use the machine, but it seems to be stuck on a level of resistance, and I'm not sure what level that is. I'll assume medium for now, based on my one use of the trainer it doesn't feel as light as the 1 or heavy as the 16.

Glad to hear they took care of you! Let us know when its all up and working!

Hi, I just purchased a second hand M5. Works great with the exception of the resistance issue you've mentioned here. Do you have any idea, the cost of the part provided to you and how difficult the installation was? Thanks, Rob

The resistance fix

I was able to fix with a screw driver and a tiny allen wrench.
    A. Remove the large, circular, black-tire-looking-thing on the lower-right side of the machine.
    B. Inside machine, near bottom, you will find a red lever. The red lever’s ‘resting position’ needs to be readjusted.
    C. To orient yourself, look for the metal spring, attached to the red lever. A silver cord penetrates the red lever, near where the spring touches it. At the base of that silver cord is a tiny weight (or lock or mini soda can looking thing). That little lock needs to be loosened with a tiny Allen wrench, then tightened at a higher location, that is- higher up the metal cord (maybe 1.5-2 inches higher). Once the lock is higher up, the other side of the red lever will be forced to ‘rest’ in a position that is closer to the edge of the disc. Now tension/ resistance is back to normal.
    D. Image below shows where to place allen wrench, and what to move.
    5w3t.jpg
    Last edited by Rhansen015; 08-06-2018 at 02:50 PM.

I love our "new to me" M5. I am having a strange error when I do the fitness test and am needing some troubleshooting help.... The Heart Rate monitor does not hold throughout the whole 3 minute test and intermittently shows that it needs the heart rate. Just seconds before the test is over it stalls and shows "INVALID TEST." I do not take my hands off of the sensor, have cleaned the entire machine including the sensors. Any tips on what is causing this problem?